Monday, April 27, 2009

Just War and Afghanistan

I was thinking about writing a screed defending U.S. (and others') involvement in Afghanistan.  It would be easier, though, to write a rebuttal to somebody attacking said involvement. 

But I think the manner in which Obama proposes to be involved in Afghanistan is defensible on just war grounds.  (Although I initially supported Bush's military actions in Afghanistan, I came to believe that Bush's signature incompetence would nullify ANY argument for ANY military action by his administration...one of the criteria for a just war is that it must have some realistic chance of succeeding and its effects, however horrible, must be calculated to be less horrible than abstaining from military action...That, in a nutshell, is my argument about Afghanistan.  I recognize that judgment is highly contentious.  I would like people to test my understanding of the situation.

R.


 
http://gg9-tto.blogspot.com/

No comments: