Sunday, March 1, 2009

Armed insanity & religious freedom...

If you want to scare yourself some, check out the website "Gun Guys" http://www.gunguys.com/?p=3353

The Montana and New Hampshire legislatures have passed bills (probably unconstitutional) that would exempt the states from the Federal regulations regarding gun purchases, possession and registration.  Cheap political tricks, but no less deadly if they wind up empowering Mveigh-style wannabes in the interim before they are litigated and overturned.  Well, maybe the governors won't sign them into law. 

When the Supreme Court against most precedent ruled that the Second Amendment did in fact apply to individuals, there was a poison pill in the ruling from the point of view of the gun lobby:  the Court affirmed the right of government to regulate gun ownership.  Maybe the gun lobby hopes to set up test cases down the road that will result in further weakening of gun regulation.  I dunno. 

I do know they're friggin' nuts.  I don't have anything against gun ownership per se although I don't and won't have a gun in my house.  I don't have any ongoing use for one and multiplying opportunies for the "infinite perversity of inanimate objects" is tempting  fate & doesn't seem like a good idea. 

I sometimes wonder why the "gun guys" don't mount a freedom of religion defense.  Their attitude toward guns partakes of religious fervor--like saints' relics, idols & fetishes.  I bet guns and rifles have a kind of glowing nimbus in the minds of these people.

http://gg9-tto.blogspot.com/

No comments: