Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Re: [a-train] Overcoming Obama disappointment...

Interesting. I don't know if I'll end up voting for him or not.  Count me among those who believe that (by any fair, dispassionate calibration of the political spectrum) he has has moved substantially right of center.  I'll spare you the list of issues (eg, he's to the right of the most Repubilcans on Afghanistan and the Pentagon budget), because they're all over the web.
  But I know in the primaries I'll be looking for a more progressive alternative.  If we don't do that. seems to me, we're tacitly conceding that Obama defines  the left edge of viable politics, and he spends another 4 years saying "yeah, they piss and moan over on the left, but never do anything about it-- the folks who'll hurt me if I don't compromise with them are on the right."
  We have to stop giving so much away in electoral politics.
On Apr 5, 2011, at 5:38 PM, Roy Griffin wrote:

There are two reasons why I'm going to give Obama the benefit of the doubt in 
2012 and vote for him: 1) Nobody in this country can get elected unless they 
have already made substantial compromises with the status quo, overtly or 
otherwise, so perhaps the best we can hope for is that the candidate won't be 
absolutely hideous (which is certainly the alternative in 2012 and 2) a more 
complicated and more salient reason is that Obama, within the boundaries of the 
necessarily conventional framework he assumes, is trying to do what's best for 
the country--something in which the alternative candidates do not show the 
slightest interest--only right wing ideology and lip service. I base this 
partially on the fact that Obama does in fact often *ignore* the Left--even when 
the polls show that the public is *with* the Left. Richard Wolfe, the MSNBC 
journalist and author of an Obama campaign biography (his is *about* the 
campaign and not a product of it), emphasized Obama's amazing ability to tune 
out all the media and pundit hype, whether or the Right or the Left, and make 
decisions solely on whatever his internal criteria are for the good of the 
country. I think those internal criteria, whatever they are, have been 
mistaken sometimes, and Wolfe has been panned by many of my favorite lefty 
bloggers on Digby and Daily Kos as a conventional Washington "villager" and 
Beltway pundit, which I suppose he is, but I don't see him engaging in the kind 
of hyperbole and hasty generalization I see coming from the likes of Chris 
Matthews--or the overly cautious he said/she said style one gets from others...

Those of us who are in some sense on the Far Left, at least as per Michelle 
Bachmann or Sarah Palin, need to look somewhere other than to electoral politics 
to create more fundamental change. I believe that would be a movement based on 
building alternative institutions and working within other progressive 
movements, such as the unions, environmental groups, civil rights organizations, 
community organizing outfits, etc. 

Which is not to say that electoral politics should be neglected altogether. We 
should look to build alliances, wherever possible, with the least of whatever 
evils are available. 

R. 

http://gg9-tto.blogspot.com/

__._,_.___
RECENT ACTIVITY:
    .
     
    __,_._,___

    No comments: