Friday, November 20, 2009

Northern pastoral

In order to maintain my literary pretensions, I resolved a couple of years ago to read the Finnish epic, the Kalevala, cobbled together in the early 19th century (I think) by a fellow named Lonnrot (sp?).  At the time, the only translation I could handily find that was affordable was  a contemporary one, written in contemporary English.  I had seen excerpts online from a late 19th century translation by one John Martin Crawford that I liked a lot better,  but at the time there were no affordable editions of that one available, at least that I could find. 

Well, I read the first 70-100 pages and then let the project lapse.  But these days I'm reading the stream of mysteries coming out of Scandanavia and Iceland and I can't seem to get enough of them.  And even though I didn't like the translation of the Kalevala that I had much, the evocations of nature from what I have read there often haunt my consciousness in the morning, especially if the weather is cool or rainy. 

A friend of mine sent me a review by Christopher Hitchens of Stieg Larsson's trilogy.  Hitchens remarks in passing that he has heard of bookstores that now devote whole sections to Scandanavian mysteries.  I wish there was a book store in Austin that had one. 

Northrup Frye asserts somewhere that the Western is a fictional analog to the poetic genre known as "pastoral."  I can see that.  I am led to wonder also if part of the appeal of the Scandanavian mysteries is the quiet but constant presence of the northern landscape in the background.  The winters, I imagine, make it hard to ignore. 

In any case, I have found a cheap edition of John Martin Crawford's translation of the Kalevala.  Maybe now I can finish it and really impress people at parties. 

R.

P.S. The Kalevala was an inspiration for Longfellow's "Song of Hiawatha," according to people who know this sort of thing.
 
http://gg9-tto.blogspot.com/

No comments: