Thursday, September 24, 2009

The political is the personal(ity)

I have often complained about the role that features like "personality" and "sincerity" play in U.S. politics at the expense of sound policy & program. 

I wish we could elect colorless policy wonks as needed, but there doesn't seem to be any way around this fact of life as it pertains to American political discourse. 

Now even people who agree with him on the issues are complaining about Michael Moore's new movie, CAPITALISM, A LOVE STORY, on the grounds that it is also full of Michael Moore's self-promotion. 

I haven't seen it yet, but just off the top of my head, so what? 

It  seems to me that in the U.S. nobody can affect the national discourse without a robust egotism.  Case in point, the continuing influence of the batsh*t crazy right wing, despite their dwindling numbers.  Their leadership consists of personality and little else (Beck, Limbaugh, Hannity, O'Reilly, PALIN, the list goes on and on...)

I trust Michael Moore, egotist or not.  He's sincere and I like his fashion sense.

R.
 
http://gg9-tto.blogspot.com/

No comments: